Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Rest for the Weary

Lately we've been plagued with unexpected problems. First the kitchen, now the car. Bruce thought it was the battery, then the alternator. It's neither, but it might be an issue with the wiring. That's not good because it means more time. More time to find the problem, fix the problem.

Bruce's time is already stretched thin. Lots of overtime at work. The kitchen remodel, which was unexpected - (but do to circumstances was immediate need). Responsibilities with the fire department. Church and family obligations. He rarely has time to sleep, let alone have time for another project.

I wish I could shoulder more of the burden. I can't help that his department is understaffed. I can't fix cars, or do drywall, or hang cupboards. I help with teaching at church and, admittedly, I could do more. But I think he looks forward to and enjoys the time working with the teens. I try to keep the house functioning. People and dog fed. Clothes and house clean. I admit I'm not good at any of this. I wish I were.

I'm not the one who can relieve Bruce of his burdens, but I can bring his burdens before the One who can. So I pray. I pray for peace at work and safety on the road. For the things of this life to not be so overwhelming that we forget what's important. For us to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit and to seek the Lord's will for our lives in things both big and small. (Should we get a newer car or fix this one? Is this the right lesson to teach this week? Do I really need to argue with a 2 year old over veggies?)

When we're stressed and overburdened by the things of this world- we need to step back. Focus on the one who matters. The Lord, our Heavenly Father, and Creator of the Heavens and Earth. Take time to meet with Him, renew our spirit, and rest in Him.

Oh gently lay your head Upon my chest And I will comfort you like a mother while you rest And the tide can change so fast But I will stay The same through past the same in future the same today

I am constant I am near I am peace that shatters all your secret fears I am holy I am wise I’m the only one who knows your heart’s desires Your heart’s desires

Oh weary tired and worn Let out your sighs Drop that heavy load you hold cause mine is light And I know you through and through There’s no need to hide I want to show you love that is deep and high and wide

I am constant I am near I am peace that shatters all your secret fears I am holy I am wise I’m the only one who knows your heart’s desires Your heart’s desires

I am constant I am near I am peace that shatters all your secret fears I am holy I am wise I’m the only one who knows your heart’s desires Your heart’s desires

Oh gently lay your head upon my chest And I will comfort you like a mother while you rest

(I Am by Jill Phillips)

No comments: