Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Create

*I started the green rug last night and finished it today. 

I started on a new rag rug last night (and it would probably be finished now if I wasn't blogging).  :)  I love love love taking old fabrics and giving them new life.  I can never bring myself to throw away clothes with holes or stains...I know we won't wear them, no one will love them again if I give them to Goodwill or Salvation Army, but I cannot let them got to the dump and fill up a landfill.  Ick!  So, I save them.  Um... this sort of fabric stash starts to take over your closet, room, life... and your hubby starts to wonder why the closet is overflowing with bags of junky clothes nobody can wear and no longer believes you when you say, "I'm going to make something out of them... really!".  Yeah.  Until you throw everything in a spare corner in a barely used upstairs room and start making rag rugs.  :)

I made one for our kitchen first, then the bathroom.  Then I started making a few more.  Jack started asking why we needed more rugs.  :)  We don't.  I took them to a craft show (but it was 90 degrees out and nobody came) and put up pictures on facebook.  Two rugs sold in a 2 days on facebook!  Holy cow, I couldn't believe it.

I'm going to create things regardless.  I can't just sit here...I need to have my hands busy, to be making things.  I might be knitting a scarf (current obsession is cowls!), making a rug (to sell to support my crafting addiction), or sewing (because I recently fell in love with my sewing maching again).

We're creative beings...we're made in the image of the great Creator.  I like to repurpose old items and give them new life, purpose, and make them lovely again... that's not to far off what God does with us.  Through His amazing grace and mercy, He forgives us makes us new... getting rid of the old life and making us into something new.  And lovely.

No comments: